Friday, October 23, 2009

I Saw Good Hair!

I saw Good Hair! For those who don't know, it's the documentary by Chris Rock about African American women and their hair, it was inspired by when one of his daughters came crying to him about why didn't she have good hair. I hope every black woman goes and sees this movie. I thought Chris did a good job of not attacking, accusing but simply displaying our hair issues and the tangled web we've weaved. It was disturbing to see a little girl getting her hair relaxed, not likeing the process but feeling it was something she had to do. Watching Lye dissolve an aluminum can actually made me a little sick when I remembered how many years that chemical had coated my scalp. He also covers a hair show in Atlanta with some very entertaining personalities. Chris concludes that the most important thing is what we possess inside our head and not on top of it and I couldn't agree with him more. I do have to say that I am so happy that I have been able to let go of a lot of those hair issues but I really can't wait for the day when we can all accept, honor and recognize the beauty of our natural hair in all it's kinky, coily, curly glory. I'm not saying that everyone has to get locs or wear their hair natural (that would be awesome!) but to just realize that there was no mistake, nothing wrong or bad with our hair, good hair is simply healthy hair.

P.S. This is a whole other topic but I have serious problems with the black community being the highest hair product consumer and we don't see any of that money coming to us and it's our own damn fault! The majority of us choose to be bound to a lie (pun intended) of what we believe is beautiful, sexy or acceptable. We need to realize our money fuels this whole industry, we are the ones in the power position and instead we are letting a predominately caucasian and asian run industry dictate to us what is right, beautiful, sexy and acceptable. Ladies we need to take our power back!

No comments:

Post a Comment