Monday, February 6, 2012

B3 Barista Bath and Body


I was given the opportunity to test out the b3 barista bath and body line.  Created by three businesswomen, b3 barista is the first full line of natural and skin care products that use the revitalizing benefits of coffee. Organic coffee, coffee extract and essential oils make up the main ingredients of these products what the products don't contain are parabens, sulfates and pthalates (love that!). I received the perk it up shampoo, soothe those jitters conditioner, make mine black soap and room for cream lotion. I've been using these products consistently for over a month, so let the review begin!
Perk it Up Shampoo:
pH: 4.5-5.0
Claims: "Removes impurities and buildup, invigorating the scalp to help support natural hair growth"
Verdict: Yes it does. This shampoo makes a great clarifying shampoo and that would be my suggested use for it. Compared to the Avalon Organics clarifying shampoo that was my staple, I prefer this one because  it definitely got rid of buildup but my hair didn't feel as stripped as it does with the Avalon.  The shampoo is a dark rich brown, like espresso. The scent is extremely light which surprised me, from the way it looked I was expecting it to smell strongly of coffee and while I love coffee, I wasn't sure I wanted my hair to smell of it. I was quite relieved that it didn't. There is just a subtle (stress on the word subtle) scent that hints of coffee. A little goes a long way and it has a nice rich lather. If you're on the lookout for a good gentle clarifying shampoo that really gets the job done I would check this out. Worked well on my locs as well as on my TWA and no issue using it on my color treated hair.

Soothe those Jitters Conditioner:
pH: 3.5-4.5
Claims: "Provides optimal pH to close the hair cuticle and seal in moisture for smooth, tangle-free hair"
Verdict: I would have to agree but I can't  fully test out the tangle-free claim as my hair is currently so short.  My hair really, really, really liked this conditioner. I used it on my locs and would only recommend those with mature locs to use this conditioner as it is very rich and leaves the hair quite soft. I've used it on it's own, mixed it with my Aphogee 2 minute protein conditioner and found the conditioner to work better as a deep conditioner than the current deep conditioner I've been using (As I Am). For loose naturals you could use it as a co-wash but honestly I feel that it's a waste of the product because it is such a rich and effective conditioner.  I did still follow up with a leave-in conditioner once I had rinsed it out (for those of you who are really into hair typing I am a strong 4 add whatever letter you like after). The scent is so light that I would almost say it's unscented but it's not there's a whiff of something making it great for folks who don't like heavily scented products.

Make Mine Black Soap:
Claims: "our specially formulated bar gently exfoliates dead skin cells, while glycerin, draws vital moisture to the skin and olive oil conditions the skin.
Verdict: I'd have to agree. Normally I'm not a fan of bar soaps more of a shower gel kinda girl, but I think I'm converting. The scent is light and out of all the products this is the one that has the closest scent of coffee, like a nice rich espresso. The soap looks very chic, a rich black color (so the men folk can also have this displayed in their bathrooms without shame) but what I loved about this soap aside from the rich lather and all that good stuff  was how my skin felt afterwards.  My skin is dry add to that, that LA tends to be very dry so after a shower once my skin dries up it feels tight and itchy and I need to moisturize my skin ASAP! PEOPLE this did not happen with this soap!!!! After I used it I felt I needed to make a public service announcement about the fact that my skin was not dry! So yeah I love this soap! I'm so happy I have a full size bar, which I and my brother (he loves it too) have been using for a month and still have quite a bit left.

Room for Cream body lotion:
pH: 4.0 -5.0
Claims: A luxurious combination of natural ingredients infused with essential oils, absorbs quickly and is never greasy.
Verdict: Umm, ok this was the product I just wasn't feeling. Does it moisturize your skin? Yes quite well and yes it absorbs very quickly and it isn't greasy. You can apply it to dry skin and it will moisturize your skin. So what is my problem? First not a fan of the smell, it's not strong but it's off to me. I can't put my finger on it but I didn't like it. The other problem was I didn't like the way my skin looked after using it. I'm a body butter and oil kind of girl. I make my own body butter that I'm happy with and one thing I love about using body butters and oils is that sheen that it gives your skin, that oh so sexy glow!  Well none of that with this lotion and last I feel that for what it is, it's overpriced (suggested retail $22.00). So while it does live up to it's claim, I would pass on this one.

Check out their website at http://www.b3products.com/ to view their full range of products. If you've used their products leave a comment and let me know what your experience was.

Ciao Bellas!

P.S. Ladies as Valentine's day is approaching these would also make nice gifts for that special someone in your life;)

No comments:

Post a Comment