Tuesday, June 2, 2009

A Little Goes A Long Way




Hello Fellow Queens! So I did my palm oil conditioner followed by a retighting and the verdict.......Well the jury is still out on this one because I used too much. I poured about a 3/4 cup of my concoction through my hair and while it felt good going on, rinseing it out was another story, my hair was soo oily and it's my own fault! I can be a bit heavy handed sometimes. So after several washes, followed by an apple cider vinegar rinse (henceforth reffered to as an ACV rinse) I was satisfied, but I might have washed my hair too much. Now mind you my hair doesn't feel dry, it's just not as soft as when I use my castor oil or coconut mixtures (more on those in future posts). With all that being said, Boldthis morning when I woke up my hair had absorbed the rest of the oil and wasn't feeling greasy and I didn't need to use my spritz (yup you guessed it, that's homeade too!). I'm not ready to give up on the palm oil, I will try it again for my next washing this time just lightly coating my hair and see what happens. Should you want to start trying palm oil yourself these are my instructions, which you can choose to follow or do your own thing.
1. Rinse your hair with just water and blot with a towel so it's not dripping wet

2. Pour the palm oil, or palm mixture (I mixed lemon juice, almond oil and honey in my mixture and I loved the texture and consistency of it). Massage it through your locs from the root to the tips of locs.
3. Leave on for 15-30 minutes, plop a shower cap over your head and go about your business!

4. Rinse off and shampoo with your shampoo of choice, I use Castile soap from Trader Joe's or one of Dr. Bronner's castile soaps.

5. Follow with an ACV rinse (if needed. I do an ACV rinse once a month)

6. Style, retighten, or just let your hair be. Even if you style or retighten, I am a big fan of air drying when you can.

Another reason I'm going to give palm oil another round is also because my scalp feels so good! I don't have any scalp issues but living in a dry climate it can feel dry and tight, my main reason for spritzing and I spritz everyday sometime twice a day!!! but not today! So next time I try the palm oil, I will be more conservative, rinse less and I probably won't follow with an ACV rinse. I've posted pics of what my mixture looks like and the results of what my locs look like after the final, final rinse ( my hair is wet, you can still see the drops of water).

No comments:

Post a Comment