Saturday, July 25, 2009

Healthy Body = Healthy Hair

It's great perusing other blogs, nappturality.com and reading about how people style their locs, what products they use to maintain their locs and while there is all this great information on how to take care of our locs on the outside, there is not a lot being said about nourishing our insides. You can lather all the oils and spritzes on your locs but if you aren't feeding your body and giving it the vitamins and minerals you need I don't believe you'll ever reach the full potential of beauty your locs can achieve. We all know or should know that eating plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables is good for you and since I've started locing my hair I have made a serious effort to nourish my body well and I'm seeing results. Living in Los Angeles I'm blessed to have access to an abundance of farmer's markets, local ethnic shops and I've recently gotten into juicing. I think buying a juicer was one of the best investments I made. I ordered mine from Walmart's and it cost me only 40 bucks! I try and juice everyday my basic recipe is: a handful of spinach, two carrots, a peach, a plum, cucumber some grapes and ginger. It sounds weird together but it actually tastes real good! I add a tablespoon of a green food powder which I order from Puritan's Pride (I've added them to my link, they also have other vitamins available). I've been consist ant with this for about a year and I've noticed a serious increase in energy, skin as well as hair growth. I don't take a multivitamin or any other vita-pill except my green food powder and primrose oil (great for skin and PMS) not that I have anything against vitamins, they just tend to sit and collect dust and I prefer getting as much of my vitamins and minerals from my food. I also have made the commitment to buy organic meat at best and at the very least nitrate free. I avoid white sugar as much as possible, drink lots of water, no soft drinks and minimal alcohol ( hey I have to have my glass of wine every now and then) and yes exercise at least 4 times a week. I can't do machines so I go for hikes, love yoga and take dance classes (right now I'm loving belly dancing!). Find a form of exercise you love so that you stick to it. Now this bit of information may not be as exciting as a new product alert, but trust me that new product isn't going to do jack until you invest on the inside. I still have lots of room for improvement and I'm working on it and boy is it worth it and I'm actually enjoying being good to my body, Funny that! Fuel your body right and your hair will thank-you!

P.S. I'm not a medical doctor so any vitamins and supplements you are about to try read the instructions, check with your doctor. I'm just sharing with you what is working very well for me.

1 comment: