Friday, February 15, 2013

Happy Henna Results

henna on freshly washed hair

So once again I used henna on my hair and this time the experience was far more pleasant and successful than my last debacle. I did make some modifications to my henna mixture that I will continue to do in the future. The henna I used was Light Mountain Natural in the color red. The brand only uses all natural organic ingredients. I've decided that next time I will use a different brand of henna (I'm not sure which yet) because I found the sift of this particular color too grainy. On to what I did this time that was so different. First I "cured" the henna overnight by adding warm distilled water, 2 Tbs.  of cinnamon and 3 Tbs. of apple cider vinegar. The consistency I  ended up with was that of yogurt. The following day I added olive oil, 2 Tbs. of coconut cream (from Trader Joe's) and a bit more distilled water. I did this to make sure the henna was more conditioning this time and to get the consistency back to a cake batter consistency (what I forgot to do last time). I also found that adding the cinnamon and coconut cream greatly cancelled out that hay/manure like smell that henna has. I applied the henna on freshly washed hair (co-washed with VO5 clarifying conditioner + a teaspoon of Shea Moisture Coconut Hibiscus shampoo) that I  towel dried, then I wrapped my hair with saran wrap and covered it with a plastic cap and sat under my heat cap for about an hour. I kept the henna in my hair for a total of 4 hours and then rinsed it out. I love the results! My hair definitely feels stronger, has sheen and looks fuller. Although the henna process is tedious, I love the results so much that I will continue to do a henna treatment once a month. I know some people worry that using henna might "relax" their natural curl pattern. I haven't found this to be the case with me, my curls/coils do appear more defined but no change in my curl pattern thank God! Each head of hair is different so I can't speak for everyone. The color payoff I get is extremely subtle. Henna doesn't lighten your hair, but when I stand in light or in the sun I have a beautiful red highlight that I love.  Have a lovely week-end!

Cheers:)
p.s. If you're interested in using henna but have done some form of chemical dye it is suggested to wait 2 months. Always make sure the henna you use contains only henna or natural ingredients such as indigo, alma, senna if you want different color variation, beware of henna brands that have metallic salts in their ingredients list.

No comments:

Post a Comment