Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Interesting Compliments and Trust

Hello Folks!
So I have a question, I've been experiencing an interesting phenomena regarding my locs. I've been receiving quite a few compliments on my hair, now that in and of itself is nothing out of the ordinary (hahaha the modesty), what is interesting is that I'm receiving these compliments from folks who in the beginning of my loc journey where quite against my choice in hairstyle. Now I'm getting "wow your hair looks so pretty!", "it's grown so long!", blah, blah, blah. I have to wonder do these folks realise this is the same hair that they frowned upon, and advised me against? Or has selective amnesia just occurred?! I take the compliments because I have manners but I'd be lying if there wasn't a slight whateva! undertone to my thanks. As I continued to ponder this phenomena occurring it led me to thinking about trust. How do trust, locs and compliments come together you ask? Well you see, when I decided to loc I knew it was the style for me, I loved the look, knew it would fit my lifestyle and I loved the beauty and regalness of locs. I went with my gut, I trusted my opinion and listened to myself. I am loving this loc journey, I am loving my hair and I feel great about myself the compliments are just icing, meaning it's nice to receive them but I don't need them to feel good about myself. Which has me thinking why stop with my hair? Why not apply this to all aspects of my life? I'm not saying it's not good to receive advice, but always check in with yourself, what is your heart and soul saying and trust, because others may not see the goals you want to reach or understand fully the journey you are about to take and why that might be the best thing for you. Truly listen to your heart, what your emotions are telling you and trust that. Told you I could connect locs, compliments and Trust. Have a great day!

1 comment:

  1. Hmm.I wouldkinda understand where some of them would be coming from if it happened to me.Only because I myself thought my locs were not to pretty in the beginning before they became mature.As for your specific situation..I don't like backhanded compliments.You can't turn around after the negative vibes!It's a useless compliment in my opinion.When y mother started complaining about my hair I was insulted because it's not like she has a say in what I do anyway, but also because it was also insulting the choice to go natural.If she turned around and complimented it now..Hmm.She complimented my daughter's hair and I just decided to see the positive aspect.( Wrote about it on my blog a few hours ago!)

    ReplyDelete